Flow Through Filters
Flow Through Filters
The Flow Through Filter (FTF ) is a flow through particulate filter that provides excellent removal of diesel particulate matter and lower backpressure than conventional wall-flow particulate filters. The FTF can be used in most diesel engine applications. It is ideally suited for retrofit onto diesel engines where wall-flow particulate filters are unsuitable, including light duty and older two-stroke engines. Flow Through diesel particulate filters are used to meet EPA or CARB standards for particulate reduction or simply to improve the air quality around diesel engines. The FTF requires diesel fuel with a sulfur content less than 500 ppm for proper operation and works best with sulfur content less than 15 ppm (ULSD fuel ).
Flow Through Filter Advantages
- Reduces up to 60 percent of Diesel Particulate Matter (DPM )
- Looks, installs and operates like a conventional diesel oxidation catalyst
- Does not clog or accumulate soot particles
- Requires no maintenance
- Achieves backpressure of less than 20 inches wc ( 5 kPa ) , meeting many off-highway engine manufacturer’ s exhaust system limits
- Attains a high conversion efficiency for carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, odour and particulate matter
- Effectively removes diesel nano-particles (Highest human health risk )
- Improves noise attenuation (Equivalent or superior to original muffler arrangement ).
How it works
The FTF is a network of flow-through channels consisting of corrugated metal foils and metal fibre fleece. The channels use a continuous but variable cross section to transfer exhaust gas through stainless steel filter medium. Nano particles are collected within the filter on the surface of the fibres, which are effectively oxidised by means of a catalytic coating. The coating provides high overall particulate reduction across a wide range of exhaust flows and temperatures, with backpressure characteristics similar to a conventional diesel oxidation catalyst. The design also effectively destroys carbon monoxide (CO ) , diesel hydrocarbons ( HC ) and diesel odour.
Direct Fit Muffler Configuration
The FTF can be configured to exactly the same dimensions as the original muffler for the vehicle. The part is an exact replacement of the original muffler so installation is easy and requires no change to the exhaust system. Illustrated below are examples of direct fit configurations.
The FTF can be configured as a universal catalyst or a universal muffler for retrofit onto the vehicle. Illustrated below are examples of a universal configuration.